Mental Health Awareness Week 2020
By Support Team on 18/05/2020
Mental Health Awareness Week runs from May 18th-24th and the theme for this year is 'kindness'
The Mental Health Foundation chose kindness "... because of its singular ability to unlock our shared humanity. Kindness strengthens relationships, develops community and deepens solidarity. It is a cornerstone of our individual and collective mental health. Wisdom from every culture across history recognises that kindness is something that all human beings need to experience and practise to be fully alive."
The MHF has compiled a 'Kindness Matters' guide which offers the following suggestions for ways to get involved:
Here are some ideas about getting involved:
- Volunteer for a local community organisation
- Offer your expertise and support as a mentor for those who are struggling
- Check in safely with a neighbour who is isolated or shielding
- See if there’s anything you can do to support your children’s school or nursery – offer to read stories by video for example
- Involve your friends and neighbours in community projects
- You could start up an online book club or film club
- Offer to skill-share with a friend via video call - you could teach guitar, dance or a new recipe
- Call a friend that you haven’t spoken to for a while
- Tell a family member how much you love and appreciate them
For more information, suggestions/inspiration and other resources visit their site via the link above.
“Ah, kindness. What a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in the world.” -A. A. Malee